Friday, July 11, 2008

I hate insurance companies!

I don't want our blog to become a place where we rant about everything bad in our lives, but I have to get this out somewhere and offer advice to anyone else going through this.  To anyone who will be having a baby and needing to add them on to the insurance:  ADD THE BABY THE VERY DAY AFTER YOU HAVE HIM/HER!  Apparently even though there is a 30-60 day window for qualifying events through insurance, they don't really care.  Maybe it's the doctor's office and hospital billing offices I should hate, but they sent all these claims to my insurance and we hadn't added Ellie yet.  I keep getting bills and notices saying she does not have insurance and we will have to cover the bill.  We added her on June 26th.  I had 60 days to add her and I added her within 30.  I thought I was doing a great thing.  You would think that the insurance companies would hold on to the claims for babies until the information comes through or at least until the 30-60 day window is over.  I did what I was supposed to and now I have to keep making all these calls and having the hospital and doctors office send the claims again to the insurance company.  I got three more bills today saying we have to pay.  To make matters worse, my insurance company turned over their administration to another company who will handle all the claims from July 1, 2008 and on.  Since Ellie was born at the end of May, I saw no problem.  Yeah right!  Anyway, I could go on and on.  Just a word of advice:  Even though you don't feel like seeing the outside world for a month, go add the baby to the insurance before the bills start coming.  

4 comments:

  1. Yeah I don't like it when things that are supposed to be helpful end up being a big huge pain in the butt. Insurance is like one of those necessary evils and they keep getting more and more evil as the prices go up and the benefits go down. Was your insurance good from teaching? I have found that most districts get about the best insurance around. I had to pay no premiums and only 10% of the bills so it was a shock the 2nd time around. Anyway I will stop, good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The coverage was actually excellent. I was covered 100% for all of my visits, ultrasounds, etc. I think we will only end up paying about $400 in deductibles which is a lot less than what it really costs. Teachers do get excellent insurance benefits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Augh! That's awful. The runaround is so annoying...!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WoW! Great advice! I am jealous of your insurance plan! That sure would be nice for us! Jason is pretty accident prone!

    Your baby is still cute as ever! It was so good to see you recently!

    ReplyDelete