Friday, July 4, 2008

Happy 4th of July!!! (I hate parades!)

It may sound un-american of me, but I absolutely hate parades. Particularly when they keep me from leaving my neighborhood or returning home. Two years in a row the 4th of July parade in Magna has blocked us from travel. The way that our neighborhood is set up has the fatal flaw of blocking the only two exits from the neighborhood when Magna decides to have a parade. Last year, I had planned to go see the Transformers movie on the 4th and I wanted to go to a earlier show to save a few bucks. We got in the car and headed for the exit. There was a minivan blocking the exit and people in lawn/camping chairs from one corner to the other an HOUR before the parade started and our sub-division is close to the end of the parade! If you haven't look at my list of transformers(it needs some updating),then you don't understand why I was so mad. The lady in the minivan told me sorry and to check the other exit. Same story. I had to wait until Saturday to go see the movie I had been waiting months to go see.

This year I thought that it wouldn't be a problem because we planned on going to IKEA and beating the parade. We left at 9:15 and went to IKEA. We had breakfast there because we arrived before the furniture store was open. Then we went back to the car to fed Ellie and strap her into the Baby Bjorn carrier. Last time(my first time) we went to IKEA it took three hours so I thought we would miss the parade entirely. Well, we were looking for specific things and found what we needed plus a little extra and headed home. We got home at 12:45. Fifteen minutes after the parade started. So we went to get some lunch and ate at a park. We were done with lunch at 1:15 and started back to see if the parade was over. Nope. So we drove to the Smith's fuel center to use one of our fuel rewards and save $1.50 on gas. We headed home again at 1:45 and as we were approaching "Magna Main Street"(2700 South for you who are not Magna-ites) we saw that the parade-goers where returning to their cars. There was a line of cars waiting at the road closed sign. We got home at 2:00 with a screaming hungry child. I HATE parades!

Other than that we had a pretty nice 4th. IKEA was fun and their food is good. We went to my Grandma Reynolds for a party that night and had a great time. Happy 4th!

2 comments:

  1. That is really lame that we get trapped in our neighborhood! The last couple of years Matt has moved our car out to the other side of Main by about 11:00 and then we hike out. I don't even hate parades, but what is the 12:30 start time about? Who wants to sit in the hottest part of the day? I don't get it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're not alone. I hate parades too and I'm really glad we were out of town during this one! At least we have an alternative way out of our neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete