Tuesday, April 5, 2011

A What?

I can't remember exactly when, but I started to grow a lovely red bump on my face about a month ago. At first I thought it was just a very large pimple. Of course I tried to pop it and it was rather disgusting. Blood was running down my face like tears would. After about a month, it started to resemble a very tiny raspberry sitting ever so annoyingly on my cheek bone. Always in the very corner of my vision, I couldn't take it anymore.
So, today I went to a dermatologist and he asked if I'd like him to remove it. "That would be great!" I said. I was afraid he would say something about waiting until the baby came or set up another appointment, but he did it today. I totally intended to take a before and after picture, but many of you have already seen the hideousness so here's an example picture from somewhere else on the internet:
Pyogenic granuloma - close-up
Pyogenic Granuloma
Mine was 5 millimeters. The dermatologist said they are very common in pregnancy because of all the hormones surging through a woman's body. He said it is commonly referred to as a "pregnancy tumor". Many times I marvel at what a woman's body has to go through to bring our sweet children to the earth. I'm just really glad it's gone for now. Ellie kept wanting to touch it and scratch at it. Now I have a bandaid on my face and a blister on my left pointer finger (I also had him remove a wart- which hurt worse than him scraping and cauterising the lesion on my face).

4 comments:

  1. Wow! I'd have been worried about that too! I'm glad it was something normal for pregnancy and that it's gone for now too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you figured out what it was and it was easy to take care of!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also known as a pyogenic granuloma! We learned about those in school! Only, the ones we talked about are the ones that grow in the mouth...but they're the same thing :). I'm just really excited I know someone who had one! I know, I'm lame. But seriously, I'm glad you had it removed! I wouldn't have wanted it on my face either! Even though I'm sure you were still beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. CRAZY! It is amazing all the different things that can happen to our bodies. That is good to know, it would be so awkward to have on your face- so I feel for you. Glad it's gone!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete