Tuesday, April 1, 2008

I Wish We Were Foolin'

Being April Fool's Day and all, I thought I would try to find something funny to joke about and then say "April Fools" at the end of the post. I couldn't think of anything that clever so I thought I would tell about the adventure we have had with our dog's surgery on Friday.

Last Tuesday, we took Windu in for a check-up because he had been sort of limping on his right hind leg for a few weeks. We thought he had Hip Dysplasia, but it ended up being something a lot less serious. They put him under anesthesia to check his leg and did x-rays as well as moving his knee around. HIs x-rays turned out looking very nice- no hip/bone problems. During this exam though the vet found that his knee was popping in and out very easily. She said that he had blown his cranial cruciate ligament (ACL in humans). We scheduled surgery for Friday, but they said that we needed to keep him calm until then to keep him from further damaging the knee.

During surgery, she found that it wasn't that ligament, but a smaller one that is off to the side. She repaired the ligament and hollowed out some of his bone so his knee cap would fit better inside. She also said that they found some ringworm in his ear! This dog is expensive. If anyone knows anyone interested in breeding, we need to make up for a lot of money spent on medical bills.

Friday at about 6:30, we were able to pick up our dog (though he didn't look or act much like Windu). I won't describe too much because there are pictures to show what he looks like, but it was strange. That whole night, he was still coming off of the anesthesia and was very loopy and vocal. I ended up sleeping on the floor next to him in our bedroom. He woke up every five to ten minutes and didn't quite know what was going on. He would whine and whine until I got him to sleep again. There were also about five times when he jumped up and started hobbling around the room crying. He was really "trippin" on his drugs. The vet said that he wouldn't be in pain, his vocalness was a result of him coming off his drugs.








Since Friday, he keeps getting progressively better and more like the dog we used to know. He really wants to play and gets frustrated that we won't let him run or jump. He's getting very bored and lately we've had to leave a cone on his head so he doesn't lick his stitches while we are gone from the house. Since I've been off track, my job is now dog-sitter. This means not only can Windu not play, but neither can I. Like I said, I wish I could say "April Fools"

3 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear that. I wish that it could have been an April Fools joke too. I am glad to hear that he is feeling better though. Dogs are just like kids and it is hard when they aren't feeling well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure exactly what kind of dog you have but I know that Desi and Drew breed dogs or use too. yeah our dog had a tiny ear infection and 300 dollars later.
    DOGS ARE EXPENSIVE! BUT KIDS ARE WORSE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought I would leave a note to say hi. It was great to find your blog from Misty's blog site.. I am really exited to here you are expecting. Kids are so wonderful. I am impressed that you have enough patients not finding out what you are having. I could not do that. Sorry about your bad April fools day. It stinks when people or animals you love are suffering. Hope your dog heals fast.
    We hope to see you some time soon. It has been to long.
    Gina

    ReplyDelete